Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Order!

I once got into a big tussle on another blog over the idea that the theory of evolution ought to be a law. What the poor folks at that site didn't know is that I was fairly pissed off that week and was really just looking for a fight. Also, I think the admin of the site in question is a boozer ponce flotsam jerk-off. So anyway, while I sat back and argued a point I didn't really believe (that evolution should be a law, not a theory), I managed to rattle loose some novel thoughts. Skip to the end for the novel part, or keep reading to get the full train of thought.

One of the things I learned from the ponce was the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning. Which was nice, but don't get too caught up in that right now. I also noticed that all the good laws (the laws of conservation from which the laws of thermodynamics and motion sprout) can be expressed mathematically.

Now as every good biologist knows, the mechanics of evolution all follow the laws of thermodynamics, such that all living things are basically suspended within environment-specific equilibrium between the margins of a diamond (perfect order) and vaporized charcoal (perfect disorder) with lots of other contaminating elements.

(The nifty thing about crystals like a diamond is that its existing structure will create more of itself, when provided with the necessary food (diamonds get bigger when you add more carbon)).

I think the the laws of motion and thermodynamics are essentially just re-statements of the laws of conservation. So I got to thinking; in biology were are mostly concerned with how things are ordered, and how that order propagates itself (like dirty diamonds). We get to talking about "genetic information" alot. So, I wonder if the laws of evolution might be more accurately described as the "laws of informatics". I can generally (but not specifically) imagine how these laws might be expressed, and what's more, I can also see how they could be applied to all kinds of self-propagating information, from diamonds to digital data (excuse the alliteration). Since evolution really just describes a mechanism for the tranfer and preservation of information, this kind of universal applicability to all information is what would be needed to qualify it as a proper law. That, and a law of informatics just seems like a good idea.

So I googled "laws of informatics" and found this site. The guy seems to start on the right track and I like his laws as stated, but I think he goes way off track once he starts talking about Frederich Nietzsche, and he never tries to express his laws mathematically. So, I think I'm going to try and give that a shot in my spare time and I'll keep updates here. Any of you math whizzes have some good ideas?

Asleep yet?

2 comments:

Casey said...

Oh ya, I said I liked his laws as stated but of course, i think his first law is trash. Information can be destroyed and created.

Casey said...

Actually, nevermind, I think all his laws are rubbish, but I still think there ought to be some universal set of rules to explain the mechanics of information propagation. Its too bad I suck at math.