Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday Action Figure: Boba Fett



Boba Fett.

Allow me to explain myself. I had a number of converging thoughts that all eventually polymerized into today's post. These thoughts were, in no specific order, i) I should post more often. I know, I say and think this alot, but it never gets less true despite how few posts I may actually write. Writing is good for me after all, and a post doesn't take long. ii) I admire the posting frequency of one of my favorite blogs, Pharyngula, where the author has a "Friday Cephalopod" posting every week. iii) I didn't communicate it to anyone at the time, but the results of a recent "determine which Star Wars character you are" test had nearly-mystical significance for me. You see, all through elementary school, when teachers would inevitably ask us who our heros were, I would always answer, "Boba Fett". Boba Fett wasn't the first action figure I ever owned, however he was the first one I ever wanted. The first four action figures I whined my mother into buying for me were only precursors to my ultimate goal, and that was to collect the UPCs needed to get Boba.

So with that, I bring you something I hope to be a new series, a regular weekly offering, the "Friday Action Figure".

As an afterthought, I'm tempted to get deeper into a self-analysis on this Boba Fett issue (that is, why I chose a villain as my most admired hero, or why I never reported either of my parents as my heros) but that might break my rule about only discussing the most vapid and shallow topics in this space. Whatever, to this day I still regard Boba Fett at least as a fond memory of childhood and deep-down I think I still pretend the character is a role model even though in reality I know my own principles are rather divergent from Boba's. Just now while writing this I've starting thinking , "gee, maybe it would be fun to start collecting the Boba Fett comic books".