Saturday, June 16, 2007

Rhodes!

Uck. Rhodes has some nice beaches, a ton of exactly identical restaurants, and a cool acropolis about an hour's drive away from the main town. It also has a cool medieval castle in the center of a well-preserved old city. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like talking about all that right now. Instead I feel like bitching. This vacation has been a real fucking bitch for me and I want to come home now. We weren't more than two hours in Rhodes before I slipped on a sidewalk and sprained my ankle, hard. It hurt so bad I actually saw starts and retched. I've never hurt so bad it made me almost-puke. I managed to find an orthopedic store which sold the kind of hard-core ankle braces I have at home and that is getting me through. Of course, the whole photo-sensitivity thing seems to be getting worse, to the point where even a brief flash of direct sunlight on my forearms feels like hot acid. Despite all these setbacks though, I was determined to soldier on and try to enjoy this vacation as much as possible. So we went to the acropolis at Lindos, where we rented ponies to do the hiking for us. It was a fun visit and afterwards we decided to hit the beach for some snorkeling at a small, beautiful cove just below the acropolis. Somewhere between paying for our ponies on the way down and getting back to our hotel after snorkeling and the drive back, I lost about 200 euros in cash from the front pocket of my shorts. Either they fell out in a bundle when were moving clothes around and to and from the car to the beach to the car to the hotel, or one of us accidentally left a door unlocked and someone broke into our car in the beach parking lot. Can't be sure which but either way I was (and still am a little) pissed. To top it all off Chris tells me that she got a call from our house/dog sitter saying that the heavy rains last week leaked into our basement and got our downstairs rug wet. Also, one of neighbors left an anonymous note at our door telling us to mow our lawn because a house was going up for sale next week, with references to "trailer trash" etc. With all the other crap I needed to get done before I left for vacation I didn't get a chance to mow my lawn (and it needed it) so I can imagine it does look shitty, but there is no need to be mean about it.

Anyone in the mood to do me the favor of mowing just my front lawn today or tomorrow? 20 minutes work and I'll pay you 30$.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Casey said...

Thanks for the lawn mowing Joe!

(I'm assuming you were able to)

Anonymous said...

You have no idea...

So, I actually mowed the lawn about an hour after we spoke.

When I got there it turned out "someone" had already mowed the side on the left (as you face your house). And "mowed" being a generous term. It looked like they used a scythe.

It looks like the source of the drama is the people in the white house across the street. They were having an open house.

To show them some love I pulled in fromt of there house. And hung out. With my engine running. When someone peeked out a window I sped off.

And then came back. I went around the cul-de-sac and this time drove by there house veeeeeery slowly. Again when they peeked out I sped off tires squealing.

You step to my peeps you step to me.

Casey said...

Oh Jesus. I really wish you hadn't done that. I hope they don't go reporting me to the Home Owner's Association now.

Anonymous said...

Oh come now... That's more then fair treatment for the people that showed you nothing short of terroristic interference of your vacation.