Saturday, February 17, 2007

Clearing the Backlog - Part 1.

I have all these old topics littering my brain, which I had meant to blog about as long as 6 weeks ago. The reason I haven't blogged them before is because they are all photo-associated and I got lazy about uploading the pix from my camera, to the puter and then to Flickr. I don't want them to get too stale so I've decided to just blast them all out now in one big push, akin to my adventure on the side of I-270 the other day.

So here we go, in reverse chronological order:

Last weekend was fairly awesome for me. Somehow I had this huge surge of energy, which I parlayed into finishing several old projects I had lying around the house for a year or more now. The first of which was the installation of a nice display shelf for all of my radioactive Fiestaware.



If you were to Google "radioactive Fiestaware" you might find a link to Cecil Adams' "Straight Dope" column on the subject. Mr. Adams is usually right about most things but you shouldn't consider the guy the last word on anything. In particular he states that, "The actual amount of radioactivity [of the red Fiestaware] is extremely low--less than the normal background radiation you get from rocks and stuff." which is 100% unqualified bullshit. I would show you a picture of my Geiger counter pegged out when the probe is next to one of these Fiestaware dishes, but that's a little bit of show and tell I prefer to save for real life. So if you don't believe me, stop over for a visit some time.

Anyway, my second big project I finished last Saturday was this fish tank. Which I set up on the bookshelf just below the Fiestaware.



It is currently populated with three Danio Zebrafish, which are essentially the cheapest fish you can buy. My thinking here is that if I turn out to be a horrible fish-dad, their demise won't hit the wallet too hard and I can try again, hopefully the wiser. I have kept the fuckers alive for a week now, so I think I'm doing OK. These guys are a ton of fun to watch. I'm going to give it three months before I try to upgrade. And by "upgrade" I'm referring to an ulterior motive I have in setting up this fish tank, but I won't reveal that until I've already executed the plan (and no, it doesn't have anything to do with the nearby Fiestaware).

Alright. I think that's enough for now, maybe I'll blather out the rest later today or tomorrow.

No comments: