Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rabbit in the Moon



I saw Rabbit in the Moon perform at the 9:30 club last night. I could go on for pages about how awesome the music was and how thrilling the visual performance was, but that would take a bunch of space, and others have done it better than I would at the moment anyway. Instead I'd rather focus this post on the one part of the night that was most pleasantly surprising to me.

Let me first just mention that Rabbit in the Moon are touring to promote their new album, "Decade" - a most aptly named work. You see, my wife an I met at a rave a little more than a decade ago, and electronic music has long been a source of bonding between us. In fact, the last time we saw Rabbit in the Moon perform was almost exactly a decade ago. The whole brain-tingling experience last night made my life feel recursive in the best way. The crowd was great, giving off that awesome good-vibey, dare I say, "PLUR" attitude all night. I had thought that this kind of music-based, neo-techno-hippyish culture was dead and forgotten. I'm now thinking that thought was cynical, and am interested in trying to see if I can find that vibe elsewhere again.

One quick anecdote from the night and I'll stop gushing. Chris met the cutest pair of young kids who, with their small group of friends, thought Chris was a great dancer (I was somewhere else at the moment). The girl of the pair wanted to pinch Chris' ass while she was dancing, but was too shy, so her girlfriend did it instead, and thus introductions were made (I had come back at this point). Anyway, when these two young lovers found out that Chris and I were happily married, and had been in the techno scene for 15 years or so, and were still having this kind of fun, they just couldn't contain their happiness for us. It was really sweet. I could tell that they were looking at us as something like role models, an image of what their fresh pairing could look like in a decade. At one point, the boyfriend said, "You guys make us really happy". Great kids, I started feeling protective of them.

It's tough enough keeping a good relationship going right, and frankly if people hear you met your special someone "at a rave" I know from our own experience that people are skeptical that what you have is genuine, and think it won't last. I like to think that Chris and I are living proof that all those assholes were wrong about us, and will continue to be wrong about the younger ones making it work like Chris and I have and do. Props to the young.

3 comments:

Tom said...

RIM eh? BTW nice use of the word recursive.

I'm hate to say it but this "music-based, neo-techno-hippyish culture" exists in force in the jam band scene. See Lotus, Soundtribe Sector Nine, String Cheese Incident, etc....ask Jen for other bands that do that thing...she'll know what you mean:)

Sounds like a rad time.

Casey said...

Ya, I did enjoy the soundtribe sector nine show you took us to (also at the 9:30 club). And I agree, the vibe was the same, but I wouldn't describe the music (or the associated scenes) of those bands as techno per se. Those bands are electronic but they sing an awful lot too. Maybe I'm just being too particular. I just want to have a scene with less lyrics and more dancing, but just the same vibe as RITM and your "jam bands" deliver.

Casey said...

and oh ya, it was a rad time.