Monday, July 10, 2006

FiOS

Today, the Verizon people are installing FiOS data and TV in my home. I'm pretty excited about it, but there were a few things the sales person didn't make very clear to me. First of all, the data all needs to run over ethernet wires. So if you currently have your house nicely wired up with a cable jack and a phone jack in every room, you'll have to run additional ethernet jacks to all those same rooms or go entirely wireless for data. I already do the wireless thing but I like having internet-capable jacks in every room as well, so I will have some work to do. Secondly, the TV signal still runs over the normal cable wires, but a set-top box is required. I fucking hate set-top boxes. I'm not sure I really need it actually as I have a very high tech TV, so I'll have to test that out myself I think.

I may update this later as the day progresses...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do keep me posted... You know how important this is to me...