Sunday, September 11, 2005

Grandmother

All of my grandparents, but one, are dead. The living one, my paternal grandmother, does her living mostly in Austrailia. every decade or so she does a world tour to basically visit some or all of her progeny, which at 74 is a considerable number of people most of whom are smart, successful, cosmopolitan types. This woman was an amazing breeder in her day, having 8 children of her own, and another 6 step-children. All 14 of her kids were given a strong reproduction ethic and each in turn has had between 1 and 3 kids of thier own (29-30 grandkids in all). I am her oldest grandchild and my father is her oldest child. I have only met this woman four times in my life but she has stayed in steady contact with me by email and hand-written correspondence. She remains quick-witted and devoutly baptist.

She will be visiting us today and staying in our guest room for three days. I expect her stay to be interesting and painfully awkward.

No comments: